Criminal Defense Lawyers in Muskogee Helping Individuals Accused of Serious Crimes
If you’ve been charged with a felony, it’s a serious criminal charge, and you need an experienced Muskogee felony attorney to take serious action. A felony conviction packs a powerful punch in terms of expense, loss of freedoms, and your reputation. Don’t let a felony charge derail your life; work closely with a dedicated felony attorney.
The Criminal Justice Process
The criminal justice process is not only complicated and lengthy but can also feel like it’s designed specifically to trip you up along the way. It’s important to recognize, however, that you have important inalienable rights that remain with you throughout the entire process. Although every felony charge follows its own unique path, there is a basic formula that commonly applies:
- Investigation – The investigation starts when the authorities suspect that a crime has been committed, and they begin to gather evidence (a warrant may be issued).
- Arrest and Booking – Your arrest and booking amount to you being formally charged and put in jail (booking).
- Arraignment – Your arraignment is your first appearance before the judge, at which time you will be advised of the charges brought against you and will be given your next court date.
Following these preliminaries come discovery phases, potential plea deals, preliminary hearings, and trial (if it comes to that).
If you’ve been arrested on felony charges in Oklahoma, there are certain steps that you can take from the outset to help yourself, protect your rights, and bolster your case:
- Exercise your right to remain silent
- Stay calm, and be polite throughout
- Consult with a felony attorney as soon as you possibly can; be honest with your attorney; discuss bail with your attorney before you post bail
- Understand the charges you’re facing
- Memorialize the facts of the incident in writing as soon as you are able to do so (this can serve as an invaluable document that preserves memories that might have quickly faded) – include information about potential witnesses who may be able to testify on your behalf
- Attend all court dates
The fact is that there are things that you can do to help your case and things that you can do to hinder your case. Err on the side of caution by following these basic guidelines.
Your Case: Your Rights
If you’re facing felony charges, you’re under an immense amount of stress. It’s important to remember, however, that your rights are protected in a variety of ways and that the burden of proof in the matter is on the State of Oklahoma – and not on you. Further, your right to due process, both procedural and substantive, applies to every step of the criminal justice process.
If You’re Facing Felony Charges, It’s Time to Consult with an Experienced Muskogee Felony Attorney
Felony charges must be taken extremely seriously from the outset. Working closely with a skilled Muskogee felony attorney from the very beginning will help ensure that your rights and best interests are well protected throughout. Your well-considered and well-executed defense should begin with your original charges, and I have the experience, determination, and passion to aggressively advocate on your behalf; please contact my office today.