Experienced Divorce Lawyers in Muskogee, Ok
No one enters into a marriage expecting it to end in divorce, but the fact is that divorce happens. Further, the financial consequences of divorce will reverberate into your future. If you’re divorcing, working closely with an experienced Muskogee divorce attorney will help ensure that you and your children’s financial futures are well protected. If you’re ready to face your divorce head-on, I’m here to help.
Your Oklahoma Divorce
Although every divorce is as unique as the couple involved, there are four major issues that must be resolved in most divorces:
- Child custody arrangements (if children are involved)
- Child support
- The division of marital assets and debts
- Spousal support
Regardless of your circumstances, these are likely the major factors that need to be determined in order to finalize your divorce.
Oklahoma has four basic contingencies when it comes to the custody of your children:
- Sole Legal Custody – Sole legal custody refers to when one parent alone bears the responsibility for making important decisions on the children’s behalves. These decisions can regard education, religious upbringing, medical care, and more.
- Joint Legal Custody – Joint legal custody refers to when both parents share the responsibility for making these important decisions – and they do so by consensus.
- Sole Physical Custody – Sole physical custody refers to when the children live primarily with one parent and have a visitation schedule with the other parent.
- Joint Physical Custody – Joint physical custody refers to when both parents have the children live with them for a substantial part of each calendar year.
Your custody arrangements are likely to be one of your primary concerns. Working closely with a skilled Muskogee divorce attorney will help ensure that you secure child custody arrangements that serve you and your children’s best interests.
Oklahoma is an equitable distribution state, which means that it strives for an equitable and fair distribution of the property you amassed during the course of your marriage – rather than for its equal distribution. In the calculation process, the court can take several mitigating considerations into account:
- Either spouse’s financial misconduct
- Each spouse’s health, level of education, and ability to earn
- The marriage’s length
- Nonmonetary contributions of each spouse
- Any extenuating circumstances
If you are facing divorce, it’s important to recognize that the court has broad discretion in this calculation. As such, it is most likely in your best interests to hammer out the details between yourselves – with the professional legal guidance of your respective divorce attorneys.
If You’re Going through a Divorce, Consult with an Experienced Muskogee Divorce Attorney Today
Divorce is one of life’s most difficult transitions, but the experienced legal counsel of a dedicated Muskogee divorce attorney can help you bypass many of the pitfalls and make your way toward divorce arrangements that work for you and your children. I have the skill, knowledge, and compassion to help ensure that your rights are well protected throughout the divorce process, so please allow me to help guide your case toward its best possible resolution. Call (918) 884-7774.